Morocco’s first coronavirus patient has died, according to the country’s foreign ministry.
The woman in her 80s had several underlying critical health problems, and had travelled back from Bologna in Italy.
The country has so far confirmed three cases of Covid-19 infections.
North African countries have gradually been stepping up their response to preventing the spread of the virus since they recorded their first cases at the beginning of this month.
Like Tunisia – which now has five confirmed cases – Morocco recently imposed a raft of new measures to contain the potential spread of coronavirus – including flight restrictions to Italy and cancelling events that involve foreigners.
Health officials in both countries insist that the situation is under control, for now.
Spring break for Tunisian students has been brought forward and will begin on Thursday.
Every day in Tunisia, more people who either had contact with the existing patients or recently travelled back from endemic areas, are being asked to self-isolate.
But in the last 24 hours, since Tunisia announced three new confirmed cases on Monday, one of the patients – an elderly Tunisian man who travelled from France and was in Tunisia’s northern port city of Bizerte – broke self-quarantine measures at his home and took a flight to Strasbourg, where he usually resides, according to local media.
A statement published on the Tunisian consulate’s official Facebook page says the French authorities were informed and the flight was held at a French airport for an hour before passengers were allowed to disembark.
A local health official in Tunis said the flight crew were placed in quarantine when they returned to the country.